PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air
Thread: Korean Air
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 22:37
Capt Chambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question that I don't think has been asked and am wondering about. Have any guys ever moved up from the B737 to say the B777 or is it pretty much the same as if you come on board as an F/O, you will never get to upgrade or move to a larger fleet? If it does happen, can it happen during your first 5 year contract or when you renew the contract for another 5 years, or never?
There is no POLICY in place regarding the movement of seats or fleets. You are contracted to fly for Korean Air via your chosen agency, on a fleet in a seat. Full stop.
OK heavy lecture over.... foreign F/Os are a new phenomenon in KAL having been in place less than 2 years. You would do well to re-read post no. 44 by B737NG regarding command upgrade. Re: changing fleets as an F/O. Hasn't happened yet, I would personally think it unlikely, but you never know. Bear in mind it would only happen at KAL's invitation but your expense!

One last question, I'm looking at joining as a 73 F/O - how often could I expect to fly with expat captains vs local ones, just out of interest.
As far as I am aware there is no policy in place regarding foreign crews flying together, and it certainly happens on other fleets. However just based on pure statistics foreign F/O's will mostly fly with Korean Captains. If I read the last Chief Pilots report correctly (It's in Korean), by the time you read this there should be 168 Korean Captains and 35 Foreign Captains on line, with 230 Korean F/Os and 12 Foreign F/Os. For domestic flights I think it's a huge bonus to have a Korean speaker on the flight deck to handle all the peripheral stuff, perhaps a little less necessary on international flights.