PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA jet landing incident at LCY
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 20:37
BAe146s make me cry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Billy and Lomapaseo

Its not a bad thing to learn something from any incident...

The top of the main fitting has failed adjacent uplock/downlock plunger.
Not sure if this is where the increased 'NDT' (Non-Destructive-Testing) is completed though (Being an Avionic 146/RJ AMT). I know the diagphrams and surrounding NLG bay structures are subjected to NDT.

I'd be interested to see the condition of the uplock/downlock 'stepped Plunger' itself and associated positioning mechanism despite the cracked housing it's (or remains of it are) now living in.

The Pintle Pin attachment housings in airframe held after retraction jack failure allowing main gear fitting to swivel aft, slice through the frame immediately aft of NLG Bay structure and enter the E&E bay. The fescalised portion of the NLG is fully extended and torque links would clearly be damaged.

Avionics dept? NLG Squat sensors + harnesses, written off. Main & Stby Gear Downlock sensors + uplock sensor likely damaged - targets on NLG deformed. The IRUs, ASCU, Main rack looms, Panels 131-11-00 & 131-12-00 seem to have survived the adjacent puncture & scrape damage. The main a/c battery tray has been damaged and there also seems to be some batt feeder damage evident.

All LRUs will be removed for workshop visits to ascertain internal
damage and perform functional checks per CMM. Also, adjacent airframe & honeycomb panels, Looms,Conns & LRUs probably Skydrol contaminated with Green Hyds being lost, Yellow hyds will have been intact for brakes, rudder, inbd lift spoilers & importantly the airstairs - however, fwd ones not reqd that day..

There will be structural inspections including further NDT, alignment checks (again, sorry BXAR) and consequent frame, skin & longeron replacement as determined by BAe. A truly expensive repair but not a write off. Not sure if an Embraer would do as well (Although, I am increasingly impressed the more I work on them).

I (as well as others) do however look forward to seeing an official report generated by far more official and competent, nominated personnel than myself. No really, good luck gents. Its going to be a busy year for you. I do not envy your duties.

Send your gratitude to Cologne and its super NAA's with the highest standards.

BAe146

P.S. What did Muirhead say regarding G-BXAR's DFDR data dump - especially ADC & accelerometer parameters? (Tin hat secured)

Last edited by BAe146s make me cry; 14th Mar 2009 at 13:08. Reason: Grammar (As usual)