PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 18:26
Flyinheavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling for changes in design

In many posts here you would call for changes in design of A/P A/T systems. I appreciate any positive changes increasing safety, but strongly belive that we as humans hardly ever will be able to create a machine or software that is 100%. You change the design on the 737 and looking at the next accident we will be posting in another thread about aviate, navi..........

What I want to say is, if we let the chain of events carry on without stopping it, we will put our lives and the A/C at risk. IMHO we as pilots are paid to cover system abnormals, whatever they are. To execute that task we should have system knowledge, SOP, CRM and hopefully handflying skills on our side. Now, if you ignore all indications that the system provides is like driving down a mountain road with a 100 mph and just before o sharp bend turning around to fetch a map from the backseat with both hands.

Anyone out there who could explain how that particular crew would have detected a windshear or how they would have done a recovery from a faulty airspeed indication?

I don't recall all the indicator or system faults I have encountered in the last 40 years, as I am pretty sure the majority of pilots in this forum, and in some situations hit the panic buttons: the one on the yoke and the one at the side of the throttles.