PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 17:26
bobcat4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lomapaseo

Yes your facts are right. However the critique of the laymen in this thread is that they know what and where the mistake was made.
Yes, I agree. We should not rule out technical flaws, but to fix them is far easier said that done. I have to admit I tried (as a layman) and jumped to this conclusion: "If auto-retard is not needed during a single channel approach, get rid of it."

Well, it turned out to be needed. And I see the need for it. Pilots want under-speed protection during approach, right until flare. Then they want over-speed protection, hence the only "logical" thing to do is retard. The definition of "flare" is a given altitude over ground so RA is a perfect choice (if not the only choice). One could argue that a single RA in this situation is perilous, but a single channel approach is an aid, not a auto-land feature. Auto throttle in this configuration is not supposed to be fail safe. I guess pilots know that, and keep scanning their primary instruments.

The real danger about automation is that it is too damn perfect. If you fly 1000 single channel approaches and everything is normal, speed, attitude, altitude etc... Would you really be that careful the 1001st time scanning your instruments? As a PPL-rookie I've learned that the safest pilot is the rookie (with some but still very little experience) trying to do everything by the book. When you become a veteran errors come more easily.

It's like trying to quit smoking. The first months you are very aware of being a non-smoker. Then you have quit, and are done with that... Just one smoke doesn't hurt? Well it does! Been there, done that! (And I still smoke)

Last edited by bobcat4; 13th Mar 2009 at 17:28. Reason: typos