PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 09:54
chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IT2Pilot Some good advice, however, don't always assume that the only way to get a job is paying for the standard 737/757/A320 type ratings which does cost the earth. I was so against paying for it when I qualified and still am, but unfortunately in todays climate and also in previous years it was very difficult to actually get a job.

I paid for a corporate jet type rating in the end which cost me £10000 - still expensive, but totally worth it in the scheme of things. I am fortunately employed by a great company and get to fly at the same speed as the airlines, fly upto FL450 and have also flown to so many airports over europe and nth africa, including the main airports such as Heathrow, Amsterdam, Munich etc etc.

I got my job with only 250 hours behind me, and yes, it took me nearly 5 years because of the repoccutions from September 11th that left many people unemployed with loads of flying hours. We are now hitting an even harder time in the market so to the people who are still actively looking, please stay patient. The Market will pick up. There are a lot of people who are in the same boat i.e. with 250 hours behind them but the one thing I will say and I am sure you have heard this many-a-times before is NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK. This is so important.

I didn't have the best grades from Flight School, I actually had to retake some of the exams 3/4 times...I hated them but persisted. I didn't get the best of reports from the flight school for my ATPL ground school. I renewed my IR every year but didn't fly during this time as I couldn't afford to spend, well, couldn't see the point in spending £200-£300 per month on a couple of hours here and there in a PA28. Although I left the industry for some time so I could try to make some money elsewhere, I persisted. I never gave up.

Spend some time at your local aiports, keep in touch with people who are employed now (but don't pester them!!) you never know just whats around the corner or who will be able to help you!!

If you really want it to happen it will.