PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air
Thread: Korean Air
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 05:49
Capt Chambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone please tell me what the social life is like for expats, particularly on the 73. Are you often in ICN, or do you spend most of your nights round the traps? Are you basically living out of a suitcase the whole time, or do you get several nights in a row in the ICN Hyatt?

Any other info regarding the 73 schedule would be appreciated.
Social life in ICN is what you make of it, sounds obvious but with 60+ foreign pilots in the hotel most nights you should be able to find someone to have a beer with! Roster patterns have you typically working 5 ON, 1 OFF, and I would say that in my 18 (ish) days a month in Korea I will spend 10 (ish) in ICN, the remainder on layovers. That's not to say that you might not be flying through the night from ICN returning in the early hours. The "bag drag" rostering has become better but still a bit of an issue.

Schedules are generally for about 50-55 Hrs per month, with a mix of domestic flights and international stuff. Remember we also operate out of GMP (Gimpo) about a 50 minute coach ride away. Domestic flights are short, typically 40 mins (the shortest being about 25 mins and the longest being 55 mins). Most domestic layovers are typically min rest. and there is just you and the F/O (sometimes the cabin crew). Japanese layovers are also min. rest. Other layovers in SE Asia are usually 24 hrs.