PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citation SOPs
Thread: Citation SOPs
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2009, 22:11
733driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to say, but I strongly disagree with that post of Suhoi27

SOPs are very important and include a lot more than just a few callouts. It is not easy to come up with a solid set of SOP's. If your company only operates one type and commonality with other fleets is not a rquirement it might be ok to copy/paste someone elses SOP's. But make sure that they are acceptable to your authority.

At my present company it has taken years to come up with a solid set of SOP's that meet all current legal requirements and best practices, such as the requirements of the IOSA audit (IATA).

Some things that should be included: Callouts for all phases of flight, including flight mode awareness, altimeter setting and checking procedures, task allocation (who does what and when), scan flows, if not published elsewhere, closed loop philosophy for configuartion changes, movement of critical switches, briefings (timing, content etc), checklist philosophy (challenge/response, but not for all flight phases perhaps), stabilised approach criteria etc etc.

There is so much more and the above is only meant to give you an idea of what should be there. I would try and get my hands on a part B of the biggest operator of Citations in Europe (if that is where you are going to operate) and take it from there.

If you are not a commercial operation you won't legally need all of this but would be well advised to be as professional as possible, also in terms of SOPs.

Hope this helps.

edited to say: obviously, the bigger the company and the more pilots, the more important all this gets. If only two pilots fly only one aircraft you ca probably get away with a less specific set of rules if those two pilots work well together. Having flown together before helps as does a similar training background. However, as the company grows and/or other pilots join, proper SOPs become even more important. Having said all that, if you have decided on a specific set of SOPs, it is important to use them from day one (sim and line training).

Last edited by 733driver; 12th Mar 2009 at 22:37.