PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - France rejoin NATO?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2009, 18:53
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evanelpus....

I should bloody well think so, they gave the missiles to the Argies in the first place.
remind me again where the Argentinians got their modern destroyers?

There are actually 3 obvious factions in the "frog-bashing" threads :

1 - Francophiles - those who actually quite like the french. Typically composed of those who have actually met Frech chappies, perhaps those who have always admired anyone whose in flight rations include a wine allowance. May know some history, eg Dien Ben Phu. May be old enough to remember a young Miss Bardot.

2 - Banter types. Don't REALLY have anything against the French, it's just a sort of comic device in all honesty, a bit like calling small people lofty and so on. Genuinely just using a stereotype that they know isn't actually accurate because the punchline is actually funny. (This is, in my opinion, the origin of the wickedly humorous 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' phrase - a beautifully expressed piece of work, only lacking in actual factual content).

3 - Genuine Francophobes. Probably never met anyone who is actually French, quite probably spends 23+ hrs a day at the keyboard and has hygiene issues.

I try to be type 1, but have a bad habit of being type 2