PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - France rejoin NATO?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2009, 09:51
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I hear stuff thrashing France I always look up WW1 Casualty list and get reminded of the sheer level of casualties that France suffered.

Casualties of World War 1 - World War 1 Killed and Casualties

75% casualty rate of those mobilised suffered by France.

If UK had the same casualty rate would it have changed the way the Govt had done things later and the likelihood is that it would have.

If UK had suffered same casualty rate it would have added another 41% (280,000) to those who had died and 81% (1.4 Million) more to those who were wounded.

Travelling through rural areas in UK and France I have often stopped and looked at the War Memorials saying a silent prayer in recognition for their sacrifice and with guide books they give you an idea roughly of current population. Most particularly in France counting the names and getting to 125 and finding out current population in the surrounding area in only 175 gives you an idea of the sacrifice across France. I have yet to come across anything like that scale in the UK.

I can understand why a World War 1 hero such as Petain made peace in 1940 having watched the wholescale slaughter in WW1 and the wiping of a generation and being unable to do it a second time.