PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2009, 21:19
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I know precisely what you mean and have written about here dozens of times - Flight Operations is not concerned with flight safety. It is concerned with making money.
Although I was at Heathrow for a while in the aftermath of the BEA Trident Staines crash, I am not able to say for certain whether it was that accident that precipitated the adoption of, or became the precursor of, BA's FOQA programme... but it definitely had a very profound effect on the perception of (lack of good) CRM at the time.

The comparison of BEA Staines with THY AMS should be '..there but for the Grace of God go I'
It makes one wonder if a sufficiently strong suggestion that all souls could have easily been lost here might trigger a few synapses into making some links with absent FOQA programmes and meaningful CRM adoption... and the cost of a repetition.

N.B. The similarities in fact go further, with HSA being asked to detent the Trident's l.e.device/flap levers whilst Boeing may well be asked to modify the RA fit one way or another... bu there was no doubt the Staines accident was all about not flying the aircraft properly

Last edited by HarryMann; 11th Mar 2009 at 21:30.