PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the job prospects for new CPLs? (MERGED)
Old 10th Mar 2009, 21:21
JimbosJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another what if scenario I'm afraid please bare with me...

I'm a JAA ATPL(A) holder with 4600 total, 4300 jet airline pilot with 450 hrs command experience 737. 33 yrs old and am currently unemployed thanks to the economic crisis.

I've always had an interest in helis and now that I have some considerable time off I wonder if it maybe an ideal time to take the plunge and use the time to get more qualified. I figure the FW job industry is pretty crap atm and is unlikely to pick up for at least a year. I have another reason to go down the heli route which I wont go into here but does provide an extra incentive lifestyle wise (and no its not a job offer or contact!)

So from this thread I gather I will need to do 105 hrs hrs building, 30 hrs CPL(H) and a turbine transition (10hrs??)

Is that correct?
How about ground exams, what subjects will I have to do?
Roughly how long/much is this likely to cost (in Europe) (I appreciate thats a length of string question, but roughly)
Does my FW IR count or do I have to do a Rotary IR?
Will my background and FW hrs count for much when it comes to trying to get an Offshore job?
Whats the general feeling on tiltrotor aircraft in Europe, are they going to be adopted by operators?

I'm not looking to tread on anyones toes, so no PPRUNE style warfare please, just sound advice if you can muster it, many thanks.

<PS edit> What's a typical roster pattern for offshore flying and can anyone suggest names of commercial heli operators in Norway (I have a few, just wondered if there were any more)?

Last edited by JimbosJet; 10th Mar 2009 at 21:33. Reason: Forgot to ask about Offshore rosters