PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Raf Ops O Post
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2002, 11:57
FOMere2eternity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi 04
Interesting that you're swimming against the flow from BA, but equally if you've got your head screwed on there's lots of scope to get on (and, right now, even if you haven't....sadly !)

The most promising thing you said was the last comment - would appreciate any help - and that will get results from the FOMs (Flight Ops Managers) who are the enlisted senior NCO's.
That said, beware of the bitter ones !!

In very short summary, the branch provides a link between ATC, the crews and many other agencies, from the Int people, taskers, engineers etc. A similar job would be the BA Ops team.
The FOTS course lasts about 10 ? weeks or so and gives you a basic grounding in Ops type stuff, but much of it you probably won't use in any capacity. Your first post will be as a junior ops officer, perhaps a computer system manager, or a squadron ops officer, although you could get thrown literally anywhere - tasking, Int, flight safety officer - the field is very broad.

The biggest problem with the branch right now is it's fairly new, so where a crusty old pilot once sat and calmly read papers, now a fresh-faced junior officer enters with no flying experience. Working with 'the chaps' for a few years builds that experience, but you haven't got that luxury. Credibility is a snag right now for the whole branch for that very reason.

In your shoes, my advice would be, pass the course (because failure is unheard of !!), and when you get to your new post, say very little for the first couple of weeks. Watch the people who cut the mustard and note those who only claim to ! After a couple of weeks, latch on to 'Bloggs' who you rate and try and wrangle it so you're in charge of his watch. (by Bloggs I suggest either an experienced corporal, sergeant or, in rare circumstances another officer !)

Don't be afraid to learn the 'airman's stuff' before trying to command them - I'm not suggesting you go on to do it everyday, but at least be capable of doing it once. Other than that, keep your ears open every day and your experience will grow.

Finally, try and avoid the 'secondary duty' ratrace for a few months whilst you concentrate on the job - a bunch of FOO's I dealt with recently were great at organising hockey teams and barbecues, but crap at the real stuff !!

Hope this helps - don't know your background so this may sound very noddy. If you have any questions, feel free to fire away.