PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flights at risk as pilots refuse to accept 'demeaning' ID cards
Old 9th Mar 2009, 11:59
golftangofox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have decided to refuse to go onto the National Identity Register whilst it is not compulsory to do so, which is my democratic right.

However, the governments draft legislation will persecute and obstruct me as an aviation worker. It is not a proper function of government to create an ID card as a form of official permission to earn a living for law-abiding workers such as myself. The draft legislation clearly shows that if I refuse then later this year will see the start of the process of my being denied the right to work.

I consider the government ID card proposals for myself as an aviation worker to be an attack on my individual rights and freedoms, which will lead to an unfair denial to work if I refuse to be coerced onto the National Identity Database. In my opinion this is in conflict with liberal democratic values.

Whilst we stand helplessly and watch the erosion of our individual wealth we can draw some comfort from the fact that we can still influence and fight for our civil rights, freedom and privacy. We all have an individual responsibility to do so and each individual can make a difference. Remember civil rights are the citizen’s protection from the government itself, once they are lost we may never get them back.

Please PM me if you would like a pdf copy of “The National ID Card For Airside Workers – Should we be concerned and if so why?"

Good luck to all who oppose this repressive legislation.