PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan Bomb-bay question
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2009, 09:54
forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sooty, Slight thread drift here. I see from the 558 web 655 Maintenance & Preservation Society - History
that ‘Even the ECM gear was left in, and the ECM bay is 100% complete. Work on the bay is continuing to bring it back into fully working condition’.

Interesting, and I’m all for this sort of thing - but that’s a non starter. Even if the Red Shrimps and (presumably) X Band still worked (which they won’t, trust me) turning them on these days could zap untold new microwave systems.

For what it’s worth – here’s what I’d do. The ECM equipment, inside, is a work of ‘60s electro mechanical beauty. All systems are in pressurised ‘dust bin’ cans which may be easily sectioned to show the innards. They’d make a helluva static display in the hangar. Maybe you don’t do static displays - but Newark ought to. I’ll be visiting you when the weather cheers up and I’ll give you a call to show you what I mean. If you ever do section them, take your watch off first. The Carcinitron magnets in the Shrimps will suck a spanner across the hangar.