PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flights at risk as pilots refuse to accept 'demeaning' ID cards
Old 9th Mar 2009, 02:26
BottyTotty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes we do have a lot to worry about. Erosions of freedoms. If you have a problem as a politician with certain issues or sections of society. Then go after those elements. Increase funding, do whatever it is you do in the westminster village to target the right areas. But applying a blanket rule against professional aviators, does NOTHING to alleviate any of the contrived excuses that have been used to try and justify these ID cards.

I am not in the business of "trusting" because I am told to, we Pilots analyse facts and data.

Give me one good reason without any PC claptrap, why a British born and bred professional aviator with a full UK ATPL and a British passport, who does not claim benefits and is not an illegal immigrant, must carry an ID card. I am not interested in the "well we have to do it to everyone" argument. We don't all get fired for 1 persons mistake, we don't all go to jail for 1 mans crime.

I hope BALPA put together a Pilots class action against the government and the DFT on the basis of human rights.

We should not be railroaded into this punative scheme, it started off, post 9-11 as "the key to combating terrorism", then when established that it would make no difference as terrorists wouldn't have one anyway, so the argument shifted to benefit fraud, and then illegal immigrants. It is just politcal opportunism to grab more control.

It is government trying to shift paradigms, It is all about them having more control over everyone and everything.

There is simply no threat from Professional ATPL carrying Aviators, who have had criminal records and reference checks already.

I heard a radio debate about plans afoot to have installed in all cars a black box type device, sold to the general public by the politicians on the radio show, as a "road useage monitoring device" to replace car tax so people only pay for what they use. It would follow all cars all the time by GPS. Hmmmmmm how about a spying device so you know everyones every move (doubling petrol duty could do the same thing).

People are becoming so used to being bullied around and I think enough is enough. I don't know any of my colleagues who are benefit claimants, they certainly are not illegal aliens, and I don't think you will find many Airline Pilots in these shores, sitting at home and hatching plans to blow themselves up. They do after all fly the aircraft.

But thats what the PC brigade are whacking us with, to make us conform to their hidden agendas.

Last edited by BottyTotty; 9th Mar 2009 at 02:47.