PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2009, 20:29
HundredPercentPlease

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rananim
This is just about the worst bs Ive seen on this entire thread.It really annnoys me.The 737 is a fine workhorse with extremely good dispatch rates.The only reason that its not statistically the safest commercial jet in history is that pilots keep screwing the pooch.You really do have to know what you're doing when you fly it.
Boeing works on the KISS(keep it simple) principle.You,the pilot,must actually fly the thing,theyll help you out when and where they can but they wont hold your hand and if you screw up..dont call.

Dome light should never flash(more bs).

I see no reason for including RA's in the comparator warning system(Baro alt,heading and AS are covered already..theyre your primary instruments).As for alpha floor,they have it but again its designed to be flown and controlled by the pilot.
Crude?You mean simple.
Nasty?You mean small flight-deck with no lunch table
Incapable during non-normal?You mean no ECAM checklist where you as a pilot dont actually have to think,reason and decide all on your own.
Rananim,

May I politely suggest that you switch the brain on before pressing the keys on the keyboard.

The points I were making were facetious. Of course you don't need the items in my list, that was my point. I put a ridiculous one at the bottom (flashing the dome light if the aircraft sensed peril - bit of a half Hitchhikers Guide semi reference), but no, someone on Pprune thinks I'm being serious. Maybe a flashing peril-sensitive dome light was not ridiculous enough.

For your enlightenment, the NG is crude and simple. You will discover this when you get on to some more modern machinery, possibly the 777 or an Airbus. Incapable during non normal - you will also discover that on other aircraft when flying single engine you can do full flap landings, autolands, and fully automatic go-arounds. Nasty to fly = unstable in pitch (NG only, EG was great). It's only really obvious when you keep swapping types.

Just in case you still don't get it, I was saying that you can put as many beeps and warnings into all those automated systems as you like, but on this occasion it was the fault of the crew for not simply disconnecting and flying the plane.