PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - With experience, is Ryanair really that bad?
Old 8th Mar 2009, 19:40
Reluctant737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's something else I'd like to use to level the playing field somewhat -

The very last job I had prior to starting at Oxford was working in a service station on the M1. It was full time, and after tax I took about £700 a month, at least £300 of which I spent each month on taking my friends and family flying in a 172. It was an expensive aeroplane to hire, but it was worth it - very well maintained and the reassurance of a G1000 and fully instrument equipped 'just in case'. And I'm sure all of us know that 'feeling' when we take close family flying that says 'what if'? Anyway, so I had circa £400 each month, of which I managed to stash away £300 towards living expenses while training. The rest went on fuel for the motor and perhaps a few pub visits. And I paid (a lot) to fly an aeroplane which just about made 120 kts.

Contrast that to now - my net each month averages somewhere around the £3,000 mark (down a bit these days, but never mind that), and that will increase as the years go by. I receive that money in exchange for operating a flying machine capable of 470 kts at 37,000 feet very comfortably. I work in a clean, professional environment with professional (and friendly) people. I have a stable roster, and each month have a set of 'definite' days off. I am comfortable financially, and can easily afford what I owe and have a little hobby paragliding from Dunstable on the side.

Unfortunately I no longer fly light aeroplanes due to hours limitations and the fact that you have to fly reguarly to remain proficient in the eyes of most flying clubs. But I love GA, so no doubt some day I will be able to afford a half share or something in a nice little tourer (perhaps a Mooney?) to buzz about in at the weekends. I would do that for the joy, and the hours needn't be logged if that will break duty time. I am very able to plan my sleep cycles and know when I am safe to fly.

Life is exactly what you make it, and it's all relative. Perhaps if you'd flown for BA for ten years and came over to our little civilisation you might not like it very much, but for someone like myself, this is my first 'career' job, and I may end up staying here, who knows. You can spend all your time moaning about what you don't have, but I rather leave the news people to it and get on with enjoying my life. It's an amazing gift, and fundamentally, flight is a wonderful thing that we are fortunate enough to get paid for harnessing. Comapred to some employers, we may feel like we're on tenderhooks when flying, but so what? I'm all for strict SOPs, it's a serious business this and they help to keep complacency at bay, something I saw in people quite often in GA.

But hey, no two opinions are alike and we all view different things in different ways.

That's just my take on what I do