PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2009, 18:27
jackharr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC
Jack - no, max power it is. The confusion arises over the term 'TOGA'.
Ah, I'm understanding better. So TOGA is not simply "Take Off and Go Around" Power but implies all the others things as well such as Flight Director giving appropriate pitch attitude after take off? I honestly can't remember now after all these years just how we used the term TOGA in the 146

Application of TOGA with all the "add-ons" that implies, might be instinctive close to the ground but in some circumstances, such as stick shaker, is clearly not appropriate. "Firewalling" the throttles (no doubt, even more power than with TOGA) would be the correct response to a low level stall but it might not be what pilots would immediately think of.

I go back to when I instructed on the Varsity in the 1960s/early70s. We would practice stalls in the approach configuration. If I remember correctly, the drill was: Full Power - Flaps to intermediate position - when climb established, Gear up. Would seem to be a good drill for any aircraft.

It does seem that all this modern automation leads to the possibility of mindlessly obeying the "computers" and not thinking outside the box. I am not alone in making this point.