PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air
Thread: Korean Air
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2009, 10:52
Capt Chambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me see if I can help....

1) What is the schedule like while you are on duty? Is it 6 on 1 off or something else? How are the schedules built? Do you get a reserve line for a bit, or do you get a real line right off the bat?
We are now working almost every day with the statutory minimum of "24 hrs free of duty once every seven days".

2) I plan to take the 11 days off option, how many days do they give you to commute? I will be using ATL as my base, and heard that you get 3 days, 2 to travel to work, a 1 to get home, but just want to get the real number from someone who knows.
You get 2 days to commute, on the 737 fleet, 3 days on all other fleets

3) I understand that they put you up at the Hyatt while at base, what types of ammenities do they offer if any? Do you guys get free breakfast, free internet? The Internet would be the best freebe
Hyatt is correct. Nothing is FREE, but meals are discounted by 50%. The internet is available free in the crew lounges otherwise it is KRW5500 per 24Hrs (Approx. USD3.50). Most layover hotels the internet is free.

4) Does the company issue a cell phone for company use, or do you need to get one yourself? How do they normally contact you?
No the company doesn't issue cellphones. If they need to speak to you they will call you in your room, or normally they will call the FO who will then call you. Changes to your roster are rare, and I usually just tell them to put the change on the internet and I will check it.

5) Who pays for the business class tickets? Does the cotractor (CCL) in my case pay for the ticket, or does KAL put you on a positive space business class ticket to/from your base? I ask this because I am interested if you guys collect FF miles, I am platinum medalion on Delta with about 900,000 miles in my account and am just wondering since KAL is a skyteam member. This would be a huge bonus to this contract, if not are there ways to get the miles?
For the interview the company provide you with the tickets, and you pay any taxes and try and get them back. Once employed you are positioned to and from work in business class, upgradable to first. You travel as extra crew and are subject to the same conditions and limitations as if you were actually operating.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Capt Chambo; 20th May 2009 at 06:26. Reason: Correcting days travel and current scheduling practice.