PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Viz Jackets - Mandatory at GA Airfields?
Old 7th Mar 2009, 19:07
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely.
But as I said, my opinion, I'm entitled to it.
What pisses me off is the fact that no matter how incompetent these people are, if they scream "Safety" it's like a force field, no one can argue, dissagree, or utter a word against "Safety". If you dare, you are branded a reckless, dangerous, inconsiderate fool.
Comparisons with smokers & busses is yet another smokescreen. Smoking can also kill you at this time of year, you die of hypothermia standing in the bloody rain. Is someone going to prevent us from standing in the rain?
When you give a moron a title like "Safety Officer" they become God-like, the world is theirs to control.
I digress, elfin safety aside, this is about the yeller jacket issue.
If a pilot or driver needs everyone to wear a Hi Vis thing so that he can see them then he shouldn't be flying/driving. Why doesn't everyone walking across the street wear one?
I spent some years of my youth on the flight deck of aircraft carriers. In those days if you had a yellow, red, blue or green jacket it meant you had a particular function & could be identified.
The only person I ever saw blown down the deck by a Sea Vixen was wearing a yellow jacket with Flight Deck Officer printed on the back!
The guy that got dumped 20yds up the deck with several broken ribs surely didn't expect the pilot of the Sea Venom that hit him, at night, to take avoiding action while doing a bolter?
What this nanny culture is doing is taking the personal responsibility out of everyones hands, leaving everyone vulnerable to their own stupidity & able to blame someone else.
If you feel safer wearing a Hi Vis go ahead, If I feel happy wearing knickers & flip-flops, leave me alone.
If the Hi Vis is developed to become blast proof, prop strike proof, un-run-overable etc I may agree to wear one as I wander aimlessly through motorway traffic for amusement.