PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 7th Mar 2009, 18:50
TheBeak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
''The UK was one of the worst performing markets, where house prices fell 16 per cent in 2008, second only to Baltic states such as Estonia, where prices dropped 23 per cent but which has a relatively small residential market.
The UK housing market continued to weaken last month according to the Halifax house price index yesterday. Prices fell by 2.3 per cent in February, more than reversing an upward bounce in January. In the three months to February, the decline was 3.6 per cent.''

FT.com / UK - Property prices fall across Europe

So how about looking at the bigger picture rather than a very specific postcode? That is that house prices across the UK are falling. There will be areas that plateau or even show a slight 'upward bounce', perhaps because not much is coming on the market - to be expected in more remote postcodes in Scotland - simple supply and demand, however the national and international trend shows the UK to be declining and very badly relative to the rest of Europe.

And in terms of the point of whether to borrow £60000 or £100000, who cares, both are going to be a bitch to pay back with no job, and as I see it, you may as well go bankrupt for the £100000. At least get your moneys worth. I am sure that people who bought a type rating a year ago with Ryanair are doing pretty well and probably wont be made redundant but we are talking about now and the future for low hour pilots and the future doesn't look good, and buying a comparably expensive Ryanair type rating right now is again VERY risky. It could very easily be a case of last in, first out. But who knows, we do not, all you can do is make a sensible judgement, which it doesn't sound like alot of people are doing.

Sure there are jobs out there but there aren't many with any kind of career to them in terms of longevity and of those there are even fewer which are properly paid - unless you have lots of hours and qualifications, which you need a job to get, which is what we were talking about in terms of whether one should start training now......the answer remains an emphatic NO.

Anyone who starts traing now is a big risk taker and in MOST cases (of course not all) is doing so with someone elses assets i.e. their parents homes or savings and I think that is an incredibly selfish thing to do. The same goes for anyone with a partner who is doing it with their own savings, you would be absoultely crazy to start, I have seen guys lose girlfriends from how consuming training is alone without the added strain of the current and VERY MUCH THE FUTURE financial times. There is a saying: Don't let the perfume of the prize out weigh the stink of the risk.

But if you just HAVE to do it, I hope in the interview with the airline or other flying organisation that you think you are going to get, that the interviewer asks you why you decided to take such a big risk and make such a poor decision. After all they will be entrusting you with an extremely expensive asset, which is insured at huge cost, emblazened with their brand no doubt and containg a number of peoples lives.

As I said, you simply can't blame people who are too far into it, I am one of those people, but for anyone to actually start now would be absurd. At least give it two years......Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, the truth hurts, they are all cliches for a reason - because they are emphatic wisdom. And right now alot of people are looking a gift hose in the mouth and the truth is causing people a great deal of agony in terms of doing the right thing. WWW is talking nothing but sense, it is free advice backed up by facts. It doesn't get much better. I wish I had listened......