PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria
Thread: Virgin Nigeria
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2009, 15:52
DRPAM007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do hope that is a good thing, because I expected him to be made MD by the twilight of last year. Like all mortals, Olumide is no angel; but it's time we see a Nigerian (fully, half or even 1/16th caste) succeed in running a world class airline in Nigeria.
I fear that VK might be ruined beyond economical repairs, and then Handed over to Olumide, to be left holding the bag.

It still beats my imagination what on earth Conrad is still doing in VK. Why has he not been fired for gross incompetence or in my opinion economic sabotage and subterfuge of an iconic commercial venture?
There has been no logic in the madness that has pervaded the (management) decision making machinery in VK.

There is definitely the irony of tunnel vision at Play here; VK did try to motivate by offering good working conditions, but that only went as far as the Board, HR and senior management level (details of salaries and perks will require another volume).The top cats maybe motivated, but they have definitely failed to provide motivation and leadership to rest of the workforce.
A good salary to the pilot workforce is not enough to make a company an "employer of Choice."
Common sense dictates that in order to gain any sort of competitive advantage in airline business, All departments must understand the company mission and strategy ; and most importantly how their (departments) activities are required to actively enhance the "integrated-marketing approach" towards the achievement of the organisational goals.

Can VK clearly point out to a differentiating factor it has over the competition?

So far there no proof of management commitment to the company vision.

In a service industry, to get and stay ahead of the game, ALL activities must focus on either "the Customer", "the Product" or both!

After painting such a despondent scenario, I still think there’s still a silver lining behind these dark clouds.
But the clock is still ticking........!

Last edited by DRPAM007; 7th Mar 2009 at 21:15.