PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Viz Jackets - Mandatory at GA Airfields?
Old 6th Mar 2009, 16:39
goatface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Columnist AA Gill had a surprising take on Health and Safety, following a bellittling attack on the work of those employed to enforce existing legislation by a Channel 4 documentry and many others, including internet forums, (including the "it will never happen to me @cos I am a pilot brigade):

He wrote:
I’ve never really got the furious pleasure gleaned from bullying people who do the tedious job of making sure we’re not killed, crippled or struck by laziness, greed, stupidity and ignorance.
You can roll your eyes at a man who wants to tell you how
to wipe a floor or ban the donkey derby, but at the same time you must
remember the hundreds of builders dying of asbestos-induced cancer inhaled before council busybodies made it their business, or the miners with black lung caught when they were employed by you and me.
We trust that our tea is unadulterated, our electrics are earthed, the boiler has a flue and the lift was checked last week. All that is down
to health and safety.
If you are in the business of making documentaries or ill informed comment on web sites about the lives of ordinary people, then there are far more deserving candidates for the internet's and media's mighty ire and odium than these boring but valiant public servants who are so easily and thoughtlessly teased.”
Nuff said really.

Last edited by goatface; 6th Mar 2009 at 19:59.