PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2009, 14:08
cargun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@fireflybob

I understand what you mean, they sure can not be fully accountable, yet I believe with some luck and proactive judgment, they might have saved the plane. The plane was on glideslope so ATC eyes didn't notice a visual anomaly. Yet speed should be a major parameter, as glideslope, altitude and distance to are. I think it's somehow displayed as a tag on the ILS screen on top of the aircraft symbol. I would expect from precision high-tech avionics and ATC software (I'm sure Schiphol has the latest and foremost) to alert the ATC staff regarding the low ground speed at least around 1000 feet. What about visual contact with the tower, what was the cloud base altitude at the time of the accident, anyone?

This is a "total" paralysis. A serendipity of bad judgment starting from Seattle, visiting Istanbul and sadly terminating at Amsterdam. I don't think an aircraft flies with just 3 people in the cockpit. From designers, to engineers, maintenance crew to training people, simulator developers to air traffic control crew everyone has its share of responsibility. It's easy to blame the crew, alone.