PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2009, 20:28
ant1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
737Jock

increasingly higher pitch attitude, less noise (wind and thrust), speed entering yellow band on speed tape, speed entering red band, stick shaker!
Also the trim wheel noise (already mentioned) and the pitch limit bars are real attention grabbers.

bullet190

lack of basic flying skill.
To all those who mention hand flying skills, I don't think an F4 jock would lack those skills

airbus a330

Company culture, national culture, a ''man and boy'' operation, afraid to speak up, 2 FO's on the flight deck one being a safety FO
I have suffered this kind of so called CRM and would not have kept my mouth shut with increasingly higher pitch attitude, less noise (wind and thrust), speed entering yellow band on speed tape, approaching pitch limit bars ...

whoever wrote it
A more experienced 737 'pilot flying' would I believe have had the gear down and been busy configuring before the localiser intercept.
From AMS airport briefing: Select gear down after passing 2000'

@rainboe:
a 737 only fits three in the cockpit - as you seem to not know...
Maybe it does (since I'm used to some kind of CRM as I said b4, note that I prudently said maybe )

BOAC

- in which case he did not know his a/c!
I wonder how many -besides you- knew off the top of their head that the A/T system relied entirely on nš1 RA.

misd-again

Gods of the Glass". Automation is the answer.... Heaven help us if the glass fogs over.
Well automation has its own problems (as this accident reminds us once more) but may we agree that it has made aviation safer?

AfricanSkies

1) assuming the A/P was also left engaged, would we get the flare/retard sequence? Given that the flare does not arm by 350' and is thus unavailable during normal 1-ch approaches I have previously done, I think not...
Besides Rainboe last answer somebody previously mentioned, citing the AMM, that the flare feature is built in the A/P and is available Single Channel though unannounced.

I think something that has nothing to do with flying skills, went very wrong in that cockpit.

I personally don't like:

- Getting RETARD on Single Channel approaches

- No RA disagree warning, just as there is a Baro altimeter disagree warning, on a multi million $ plane when it can have such dangerous consequences (an untimely retard during approach looks dangerous enough to me to spend a few bucks on such a device)