PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2009, 19:20
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ka8 Flyer:

My last company (and several before) always had the 2500 ft "Rad Alt Live" followed by the exact height read out so that a comparison could be made).

To the Rest of You:

I have no experience of the the Boeing 737-800 but I am somewhat disturbed by some posters who consider hand-flying to be a CRM problem.

For example: "If you decide to hand-fly an approach, have you considered how much pressure you are putting the PNF under especially in a busy traffic environment?"

What a total load of bollox this statement is. If the PNF is unable to push buttons on the MCP and deal with the huge task of answering the radio then he should not be sitting in his seat and getting paid.

As a TRI/TRE I would usually start line-training with LVP procedures and then, once we had those squared away, I would insist on hand-flown approaches and landings until I was happy that the new addition to our company could cope with raw data, circling approaches and visual circuits.

Sadly, there are some major airlines out there right now who discourage hand-flying and to whom an NDB approach would constitute a major emergency.

We seriously need to revisit our training programmes.