PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2009, 16:59
AfricanSkies
THUNDERTAILED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done a month's ground school and a month's sim and a month's line training so far. Transitioned from another aircraft, 3000hrs jet time.

I'm not a high-houred 737 pilot, so I ask questions and learn. And my questions here have not been answered, just hastily read, probably not understood and then ridiculed by some here.

I was taught there are two kinds of coupled approaches, a dual channel and a single channel.

Our SOPs say an autoland is only permitted from a dual channel approach. And the whole flare armed/ flare / retard thing only happens during an autoland, ie. a dual channel approach.

If we do a single-channel approach, SOP says we have to disengage the A/P and A/T by 50' agl, or 150' on some specific aircraft.

Never having been trained for single channel autoland, (as per my manual it is unavailable during a single channel approach), I ask if the A/T was left engaged during a single channel approach to touchdown what would happen?

1) assuming the A/P was also left engaged, would we get the flare/retard sequence? Given that the flare does not arm by 350' and is thus unavailable during normal 1-ch approaches I have previously done, I think not...

2) if not what target would the A/T go for, the MCP speed all the way to touchdown, and if you (incorrectly) did not disengage it, it would disengage 2 secs after touchdown, is this correct?

Thats all I asked.... now the big boys here either don't know, like BOAC admitted, or they are just here to ridicule the lesser experienced amongst us which is not a great attitude to have hey?

Last edited by AfricanSkies; 5th Mar 2009 at 17:09.