PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2009, 14:11
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W2P,

Unlike the Sea King accident you quote (1980 if I recall correctly?), I believe this crew dismissed the Rad Alt failure as being of no consequence and just got on with whatever they were doing as they flew down the ILS – some talk earlier of discussions about Checklists. It appears the consequence of this failure was not appreciated by the crew – and their PF/PM roles were simply non-existent to pick up the developing trend. The aircraft just did it’s own thing until the shaker went off. Having got totally “out the loop”, that must have come as a complete surprise.

Captjns,

But for the experienced airmen who should be in command of their aircraft???? why should this accident be an eye opener?
I guess it is not an "eye opener", just a "reminder" to us all that, however many 1,000 hours we have, aviation can bite if you are not watching it like a hawk. And hours, especialy of routine Ops, can lead to complacency. Not direct at you, that comment, but at us all. Guess that’s what this analysis is all about – What went wrong? How can you and I prevent it happening on our Watch?