PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2009, 10:54
TyroPicard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And for BOAC, the PFD speed scale
The lowest speed value displayed on the PFD scale is 40 kt. and the scale stops at 30 kt. I seem to recall that pre-flight the "actual speed" index sits just below 30 kt. (See it every time I step in the sim but can't picture it!).

Question.... perhaps for MFS ?
If the FDR records the CAS parameter as invalid, is this because
a) it is not worth recording at below 40 kt, perhaps due to likely fluctuations etc., or
b) does it imply that the CAS output from the ADR is invalid? Which is a whole new ball game involving red SPD flags in place of the normal speed scale.
Note: this is probably a red herring!

captplaystation
but the little I know suggests that Boeing is more DSG whereas Airbus is the good ol slushtronic, quietly changing gear, smooth, imperturbable, but try asking the driver what gear he is in at any particular moment & see what the answer is.
I have been driving a DSG for ten days and it's a lot more sophisticated than the Boeings I flew!
Seriously, I take your point about manual flying skills. After 35 years of cables and pullies, I flew the A320 for 15 months. Then went back on the 747 Classic - the first ten minutes of hand-flying were very ugly indeed, thank heavens for simulators. I had to relearn the instinctive hand and trim movements needed with thrust changes (as well as a new instrument scan).
When exploring direct law (usually sim detail 4) trainees on A320 type ratings benefit from plenty of reminders about trim - even the ex-737 ones.

TP