PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2009, 00:36
Earl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems I remember a Turkish airline flying in Eastern turkey about 18 months ago.
Crew cut the corner did not do the full approach, hit the mountain, ignoring all warnings.
Captain and F/O was ex Turkish military.
Turkish media claimed the same thing, Capt was a martyr, when the truth came out they would not accept the findings.
There was a thread about these military pilots from Turkey here on pprune not so long ago, think it was sun express or something.
From what I read here this crew lost all basic airman ship and stalled this airplane.
One word from any of the three pilots,,(airspeed),, would have prevented this, which should have been monitored by all.
To fall behind and allow the airplane to go 40 knots below VREF shows no one was flying the airplane, even the training Captain!
Think everyone has seen the plane getting slow, maybe 3 or 4 knots and was corrected, but 40 knots?
Maybe this is where automation is leading now, all heads down in the boxes and nobody flying the airplane.
Sure hope not.
Turkish airlines bought this one and should accept full blame once the final report is out, not Boeing or there equipment.
More training required? I have never seen anyone get 40 kts below VREF.
Turkish Media trying to say that the failed R/A caused this is the most B/S I have ever read.
How about basic flying monitoring airspeed and altitude ?

Last edited by Earl; 5th Mar 2009 at 01:41.