PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA and the DC-9
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 23:12
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiley, I could not agree with you more, I sent mine "paddock bashing" from the time they were 19 years old, no cadetships for them, even if daddy was a captain at the time, and it nearly caused a divorce in the family, as the wife could not see why I simply would not cough up the money, especially in the case of the daughter (who she was quite sure would not survive the wilds of DRW) and looking at all the young pilots drinking at the institute, I must say I used to get a bit worried myself, but soon found out they kept a eye out for her, and she now lists many of them as best mates. I am not going to argue with the cadet system it has produced many fine pilots, but to me you cannot build a safe brick wall unless it has a strong foundation, it is like sending a new doctor just out of uni to do some brain surgery, ALL pilots have to have the sh%t scared out of them at least a couple of times, before they have PAX sitting behind them, so they get to know themselves and what they are capable of, how they react to sudden problems, and if they feel it is the career for them, and nothing replaces paddock bashing to get the answers. Its hell for their parents, especially those who are in the know, and know what can happen, when you put a kid in a aircraft on their own, you just have to have faith they can handle it. ( I can well remember my daughter doing her first night flight from DRW to Katherine, leaving at midnight, and there was no sleep in our house until she rang) my wife of course had her going down in croc infested waters, buffalo bulls chasing her, (if she survived) and all the rest, and I was the worst father in the world, because she should have a nice safe QF cadetship, so for those of you out there who can see the offspring are going to follow you into flying, be prepared for some sleepless nights, (and plenty of requests for money) and also prepare yourself for the way they live, (mainly like ferals, and known to wash dishes and clothes in the shower along with them selves all at the same time, but also realise it is the best time of their lives, but until they get into a Airline they will not believe you.