PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 22:45
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JohnR,
no probs. Simply inserted here because it is my sincere feeling that the "job" of LTC is being foisted upon those who are neither well qualified or particularly deserving of it (Hell, in some cases they didn't even ask for it, it was written in their Capt's contact that they would ACCEPT to be LTC after a period of time - 1 yr I think )
In Ryanair it is yet another carrot dangled in front of our bright eyed & bushy tailed pilots, many with no previous experience in any other company , and indeed not SO much experience in total. Ask yourself the question, why are so many of the LTC's in RYR guys who have only a year or two of Command experience?
Well, it could be because this group is composed of more contractors than the long-termers who therefore stand to gain more financially, it could also be because the old farts can't be bothered with the hassles & stresses of "attempting" to train in an environment where no allowance is made for training when punctuality figures are scrutinised etc etc. You tell me.
It is not really offered as a criticism of the way Ryanair approach their decision on who to appoint as LTC's, merely as a reminder to those ,who as post holders etc should be mindful, to remember what the position & responsibilities of it can entail. One should never be tempted to bite off more than one can chew. Single crew can be great, but it can also be a very lonely place.