PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 22:32
PanPanYourself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rainboe
I wonder if the Turkish culture is anything like the Far East culture? You don't make the Captain lose face, you don't tell hinm his mistakes. We have seen copilots prepared to sit there and die rather than take a stand for safety (and see themselves canned when they survive). I gather it still goes on in the Far East. Is Turkish culture remotely like this?
I am a Turk but I was raised in Europe and the US, so I don't know if I'm the most qualified person to comment on Turkish culture but I'll give it a shot, even though you didn't ask me specifically and chances are I'm on your ignore list.

I did live in Istanbul for a couple of years after college and the general impression I got was that us(?) Turks tend to respect our elders, or ranking superiors, much more than people in Western culture. Moreover, Turks are generally more polite, careful not to offend, and eager to please. Authority is respected, as is power and social standing. All thing considered the hypothetical scenario you describe, in which the Captain's mistakes aren't pointed out, seems entirely plausible to me.

Incidentally, I cannot overstate how disappointed I am with the Turkish government, and media, and their recent campaigns of blatant misinformation and lies. These disgraceful actions further prove that the truth and our future safety do not matter, it is more important to uphold Turkish pride and not tell people things they don't want to hear.