PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 22:00
flyer146

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
professionnal pilots...

Dear colleagues,

-When I read all these posts, I see professionnals insulting each other and showing very low respect for their equals. This is quite shocking to my opinion. I just hate to think that "cool heads", as we should stay even in difficult situations, get so excited on a "simple" discussion forum... That is more scary than the details you are pointing to, don't you think? ...
-A lot of confusion in the previous posts about autoland/automatic approaches/cat 3... Do you realise those things are to be considered separately and are not necessarily combined ?? scary as well if it is coming from professionnals...... and the same are pointing their finger to the crew involved in this accident ?
-Still I read interesting posts as well, hopefully.
-Do not focus on the 100 seconds of reaction time etc... you just make short cuts, the same ones you blame for not being acceptable.
Do you count the configuration time, where it is obvious that you want idle thrust, etc, etc... ? You are just missing (as I am) other factors to be able to count your seconds there....and still does it really matter ?
-Let's focus on discovering what has broken the normal solid chain between pilot flying (was he really?), pilot monitoring, observer or safety pilot... For that we just need the full report I'm afraid, right ? Taking all factors into account !
-Am I correctly reading that some pros are questionning the "non-ability" of stick shacker recovery at 400-500feet ? Sorry and deeply, but things were settled way before for the impact to occur. You add the time for the captain to realise, take controls, apply thrust, time for thrust to come from idle to what was set... just too late unfortunately.
Do you expect a stick shaker to be usefull at 500 ft ground ? I don't.
Do not expect a new FO to be able to deal with this kind of recovery either, right ?
-So we will all learn a lot as usual. Let's look ourselves in the mirror and forget a bit about the "it won't happen to me" because I do this or that; how many of us are still trying to analyse why an automatic system is not responding as it should in place of disconnecting it immediately as we are trained for ? Maybe also part of these tragic events... as someaone said : training and more training.

Regards,

flyer146