PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 20:33
Midland63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an SLF with no flying experience so shout me down if you will but it seems extraordinary that 3 pilots failed to spot their airspeed bleeding away for 100 seconds (correct me if that's wrong) at a critical phase of the flight. Something else must have been distracting their attention - what was it? Maybe that factor has not come out in this interim report because they don't know what it is yet (or it's too early to be certain). If there was something else distracting their attention, I'm not saying that absolves the crew - it's a reason not an excuse - but something to focus on in future design and training philosophies

But one thing which it may not be premature to count this as a lesson in is "If something doesn't seem right, then maybe it's not." By this I mean the suggestion (I put it no stronger) they dismissed the "Your wheels should be down" warning as a rogue. Reminds me of the Helios pressure warning dismissed as a rogue take off config warning - OK I'm guilty of not having read the full end report of Helios but it can't be wrong to say "Hang on - that's not right - let's have a good hard look around at fundamentals and check nothing's wrong."