PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 13:23
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it quite believable that any or all of the crew could have missed RETARD / FLARE or even WAKE-UP annunciated on the FMA as this is a very common omission even among highly experienced crew.
What I find unbelievable is that 3 pairs of eyes could have failed to notice a loss of 40kts speed from 1950 - 450 ft along with 3 pairs of ears failing to notice the reduction in airflow noise, along with 3 asses that didn't feel the change in body angle required to stay on the glidepath.
The final error "appears" to have been the other all too common fault of commencing a G/A but not pushing TOGA, therefore no useful F/D commands & no automatic movement towards & maintaining of G/A thrust. It appears that when the F/O relinquished control the Capt grabbed the controls with both hands but no-one was guarding the thrust levers.
Still, having said all this, I find it unbelievable that such an experienced crew could have allowed the situation to get this far. If this is true and there is nothing else nasty or dramatic involved, it really was a total loss of situational awareness on the part of 3 crew at a critical stage of flight.
Very strange & scary indeed.