PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 13:17
EmeraldEire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From reading the last few posts I believe this was a simulated CATIII autoland, more than likely required for the new trainee so as to have the observer (possible safety pilot) released. Regardless, a failed RAD alt on one side should never end up with the aircraft falling out of the sky. I would be interested to see the companies SOP's for this type of approach. I fly the 738 myself and personally whenever the autopilot is going to land the aircraft I am very interested in the FMA both active modes and armed modes, so extreme vigilance is required by all pilots when carrying out these approaches, this was obviously lacking from this accident. Why was RETARD boxed in green right in front of the pilots eyes not picked up at almost 2000ft by any of the 3 crew. Very strange, I know our SOP's have the FO on instruments the whole way down until reaching taxi speed. Seems like a bit of automation complacency to me. On another note some posters above mentioned that the rad alt had done the same on previous landings. Off the top of my head i believe even 1 u/s rad alt downgrades the aircraft from CATIII.