PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2009, 10:16
Permafrost_ATPL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainboe, which of the 2 posts above yours are you referring to?
Have a guess!!!

Astonishing is the word, Rainboe.

That said... A lot of training captains at my company will call ask crewing for another destination if they are rostered to fly with an FO on his/her first couple of sectors. Granted, it's mostly because they think it would not be a good learning experience because they'd be a mile behind the aircraft in case of one of Schipol's crafty shortcuts. This is NO EXCUSE for losing control of the aircraft, not for a newbie and definitely not a training captain.

But... It might be worth questioning the sometimes macho vectoring that that goes on at AMS. I know I'm going to get a lot of "if you can't handle it don't fly a jet" replies... But since other airports as busy as AMS can handle the traffic without giving those drastic shortcuts, the attitude of some of the controllers might have to be questioned. They are very good, don't get me wrong, some of the best in the business. But sometimes I feel they're trying just a little too hard to make themselves look sharp... High and fast approaches happen naturally once in while because of all the unknowns associated with approaches. But the goal should be to keep them to a minimum.

Again, the press conference sounds like it was a truly dreadful handling incident. But in the interest of flight safety, approach vectoring at AMS should be looked at. If it turns out to be blameless, fine. But it should not be discarded as a contributing factor from the onset.

P