PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 23:40
Kiwiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the 1995 crash of Ansett NZ flight 703, I quizzed a former New Zealand Prime Minister in Parliament after I heard a rumour (Jenny Shipley)

She confirmed to me that the radio altimeter aerials were painted over despite being stenciled nearby "Do Not Paint Aerials"

Politicians in that case determined that it was not relevant and it was not reported in the crash report.

In the same crash Capt Gary Southeran reported that his radio altimeter flipped 1000 feet just as the GPWS sounded a Pull Up warning. The warning was 23 seconds too late and 4.5 seconds prior to impact.

Police charged Southeran with manslaughter. He was aquitted, but after the aquittal a TV station here revealed that a passenger rang the Ansett NZ call centre and spoke to an operator named Cauldwell.

The passenger was complaining to the airline about a late landing just moments before impact from inside the Dash 8. What gave the NZ Police the right or expertise to pre-determine that the phone call was not relevant to the Captain's legal defence, or the cause of the crash ?

Those on this Turkish Airliner thread responsible for censoring threads about possible electronic interference are making the same judgment call which they are not entitled to make