PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unprepared students
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 11:29
Hot 'n' High

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
D SQDRN

and then writes to the boss of the school saying he left to take his business elsewhere due to a personality clash with you. You might then have some explaining to do
Hopefully, as an Instructor, you would have long ago spoken to someone else about this Stude – fellow Instructors and, finally, the Boss/CFI. Often a chat with the CFI helps focus attention.

As D_D says, Nav lessons always seem to be the problem where basic planning is not carried out at all, or they come in too late to even put the wind on, let alone look at NOTAMS etc. I have had the odd case like this long after the initial “dual” nav planning stage. If the “planning in the lesson – no time left to fly” trick did not work, I just booked them in 2-3 hours before we were due to fly – then flew with my “actual student” after ensuring the Nav student was up and running with Charts et al on the ground.

In one case I well recall, one particularly “bad” student soon took it upon himself to arrive a good couple of hours early without me asking. In most cases they want to plan – just kids, wives, boyfriends, work etc get in the way. He needed the excuse/ability to escape for some peace and quiet. Guess he just blamed it on his ugly, slave-driving Instructor!