PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2009, 19:57
TyroPicard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle - correct.
Lemurian - you do have to hold the priority button. If you release within 40 seconds the other sidestick becomes live again.
Tree said
My factory AI manuals do not make any mention of the fact that a HS trimmed full stop cannot be controlled by elevator. Neither was that covered during my training.
You are right, no mention, and the current course no longer trains jammed THS as a separate item, it is included in the dual hydraulic failure training. However with a jammed THS you would only use CONF 3 for landing - as FCOM 3 says "Do not select configuration FULL so as not to degrade the handling qualities".

And in the FCTM when discussing HYD G+Y failure it says.. (not suggesting this failure happened, but it's good background)

"(1) The stabilizer is lost. In alternate law, the autotrim function is provided through the elevators. At landing gear extension, switching to direct law, the autotrim function is lost. However, the mean elevator position at that time is memorized, and becomes the reference for centered sidestick position. This is why, in order to ensure proper centered sidestick position for approach and landing, the procedure requires to wait for stabilization at VAPP, before landing gear extension.
If this procedure is missed, the flare and pitch control in case of go-around may be difficult. " (My bolding).

The information is there but you have to dig for it and understand the implications. So as this was effectively a go-around in CONF FULL instead of 3 - the pitch control was difficult...
Minor note - THS deflection was 11.2°, full deflection is 13.5°, so not quite at the stop.
TP