PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 17:53
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Finn47 suggested a long time back in this thread, it is not entirely fair to compare accident rate of A320/330/340 with the 737.
In the first place 737 is "all series", so you are including some pretty ratty 1968 200's being operated in Africa & S America. Secondly, A320 has benefited from many other safety enhancement like EGPWS , TCAS etc which didn't exist for the first decade or two of the 737's in service life.
When all is said & done, I doubt if you compared A320/319/318/321 with 737NG ( the fairest comparison as A340/330 are of course making longer sectors hence less T/O & Ldg . . the dodgy bit, & the NG is in more "reputable" hands ) I doubt if the Airbii will be any safer, merely having different types of accidents - or at least for subtly different reasons.
More than one way to skin a cat I know, but I would rather pull 3g if I found myself pointing vertically at the Med at 1500ft & give the airframe to the EAS dinosaur collection after it's unplanned final flight (already they have plenty ) than become fish food.
Sorry but that is my take on it.
Side sticks & thrust levers that don't move ? no thanks , at least Boeing seem to have learned from Airbus's mistakes ( Oh yes mistakes, make no mistake of that ) when deciding what tactile feedback should be offered on the 777, at least some common sense prevailed there.