View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 13:31
ant1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNCTUOUS (#823), you did not state what type you fly. Regarding the 737NG:

1) ATS OFF/ON button pushed,
2) A/T DISC on left throttle pressed,
3) AP disengaged,
4) ALL INTERRUPT button on yoke pressed, and.........
5) Pilot manually pushes throttle lever and actual position and autothrottle position differ by >10 degrees for 3s.

1) Yes, it's a switch on the MCP
2) Yes, actually on both thrust levers
3) Nope
4) Nope, yoke button disengages A/P only
5) Nope again (that answers, "Plausible on a 738?")

Lotsa speculation going on here but I agree that this is a Rumours Net and I enjoy some of the reading. I've found some pearls like PJ2 and DC-ATE posts. I would tend to side with PJ2 but appreciate both's, generally respectful, way of posting. I also agree with whoever said that statistically, most of the speculative writing going on here will prove wrong at the end of the investigation process. May I recommend "Safety is no Accident" (Tench William H.) reading to those interested in the matter?

Thanks also to the poster that mentioned the speed deselect method, I had never used it b4; I moslty fly fully manual (FD) below 1000 AGL. I'd like to ask the poster who said speed deselect was forbidden at one of his airlines why was so?

Regarding automatic operation, may I also remind that A/T only (no A/P) operation is forbidden/not recommended (we don't don't do it, can't remember which is the right one) on the 737NG. That has been already said but a later poster did not notice it).

And finally one request: please take time to read all posts (diagonally is ok) b4 posting.