PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 04:42
Kiwiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Airbus 320/340 fleet type has no worse, no better a safety record than other manufacturers' current types, (NG, 767, 777, etc) and it is certainly better than steam airplanes. Your case against automation in favour of older designs is simply not being made and is showing up as prejudice vice a well-argued point with evidence.
I'm with DC-ATE. Automated systems work OK when they are working, but the problem which DC-ATE is alluding to is that these crashes like the Perpignan A320 crash, The BA038 B777 at Heathrow and now the B738 at Schipol all involve uncommanded and illogical behaviour by aircraft with highly automated systems.

For this Turkish aircraft, wake turbulence from a 757 heavy does not explain why both engines simultaneously spooled down. There does not appear to have been a fuel emergency so that fuel starvation does not explain matters either.

What are the odds of a dual engine failure?
Not just once in 12 months but now twice?

This suggestion of ice in the fuel tanks of BA038 is pure unproven B/S. Nor is ice in the Turkish aircraft's fuel tanks remotely likely, yet here we have two very similar undershoots with dual engine failures.

What DC-ATE is talking about is the strong likelihood that the automation of aircraft is leading to systems failing soft.

As long as people (including vested interests) bury their heads in the sand and refuse to contemplate, much less investigate the problem more and more jets will start falling from the sky.

Who has bothered to check the records of telephone calls from Cell phone transmission towers near the flight path communicating with cell phones on the Turkish airliner ?

I bet nobody has ... another opportunity squandered because of the politics of crash investigation.

The naysayers keep shouting wait for the evidence... Don't speculate and all the meanwhile because unconventional theories are shouted down more opportunities are being lost to gather evidence.

I bet you nobody has bothered to gather all the cell phones in passenger baggage. I bet you no crash investigators have bothered to ask survivors for their cell phone numbers to check against transmissions from cell phone towers close to the airport.

The naysayers in this case are trying to prevent investigation of all possibilities.