PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Nelson
Thread: Air Nelson
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2009, 05:08
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
donkey123

But those people generally had an option other than sweeping the hangar floor etc etc etc.
If I am reading you correctly, you are suggesting that they people with the ability to earn big bucks are somehow qualified in areas that ensure a high income.

All I can say is that I was in no way qualified to be a sales rep, and my friends had no qualifications to work in Oz at the opal mines or driving trucks (apart from an HT licence). You simply have to want an aviation career enough to get off your chuff, find the high-income (and often unpleasant) jobs, and make your career happen. You make your own luck.

flysaucer1200

Personally, it would take me 3 or 4 years maybe less, to accumulate a saved amount of 120,000$
Sure, if you kept your present job and only worked 8 hour days or whatever. But if you really wanted to earn faster, and were prepared to do unpleasant work for long hours, and live frugally while doing it, I'm sure you could save 120K in a year or less (as many have).

This is perhaps something that might influence decisions inside indignant managers minds
OK, but any HR professional will tell you that bias is the very last consideration that should be allowed when selecting employees. You select on the basis of skill, experience, and whatever psychometric tests are in vogue this month. If you are allowing your decision-making process be influenced as you have described, you shouldn't be selecting staff at all.

Mind you it isn't a perfect world, and the Air Nelson management could hardly be described as perfect, so... nobody is surprised when what you describe happens!