PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 10:39
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now the mods have a better grip on this thread, could I ask that posts which imply negligence by dead pilots be reviewed also? Rainboe's 'suggestion' that wing fuel 'mismanagement' may have caused the crash are, I think, offensive.

Some points on that process:-

a) It has been an 'approved' procedure at some airlines for a while on the 737NG
b) I was given to understand it had a 'no objection' from Boeing which is the right side of 'don't do it'.
c) We do not know if THY approved the procedure or not
d) There are several considerations in use:-
1) ZFM limits (for wing bending relief)
2) Competent crews ensure a sufficient div fuel in the wings on approach in case of centre tank feed issues.
3) Trim issues are insignificant
e) IF the flight return tanked from IST there was no option for 'ground transfer'
f) Several warnings would have to have been 'ignored' by the crew. and this is where I baulk at this suggestion without evidence
1) Wing tanks reducing below expected
2) Low fuel warnings (906 or 403kg per side depending on setting ) - still enough on approach to land.
g) I have done it many times and it is a 'no problem' techiqueAll the recorders will tell us whether there was 'negligence' or not, and we should not rush to speculate.

I am lost in the crud here on this thread, but has one possible cause been mentioned ie wind shear/downdraft? It looks extremely unlikely from the TAF but................