PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 10:22
galaxy68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strelnikov, heres the link BKS Air Transport Ltd

The peak services were sometime during the mid 60s. Personally I think the 14 may have been only on one-off occasions, but 10-12 per day was regular and scheduled.
Some interesting posts here guys.
My knowledge of the shed years (360s) to LGW was that the very few non interliners were not heading for London. Most caught the train to Brighton or other south coast towns, nearby Crawley and a few to Croydon in south London. But this is what you would expect, if you want central London then take the train. Journey times were sometimes long, especially the morning outbound which usually had to hold for ages.

I remember posting that the Wardair lumps were nigh on full, 457pax plus freight, direct to YYZ during their first season, so 20 years later surely the demand is there. I have often thought that most European capitals/major cities should be able to support services, though a 737 would be too big.

One major hurdle, is LBAs second mover status. Manchester has always been ahead of the game in its provision, whereas LBA has always been way behind the curve. They built an inadequate 5000 foot in the 60s that couldnt accept many prop a/c let alone jets! Then it took over 20 years to extend and it still cant accept many jets, nor can the terminal. Rwy 28 had to be closed due to inadequate parking provision, etc etc Pathetic!Previous management have alot to answer for.