PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 00:49
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the issue with the autothrottle seems plausible -
fully configured at 3nm in approx. 1000ft with F30 and being distracted by heavy training on the flight deck on final approach, speed starts dropping and nobody realises
It's certainly occurred to me that distraction might have played a part... (there are usually 3 fairly discrete errors (human or mechanical) that make an accident happen)

Without one of them, sometimes the situation is not even recognised as '..an accident opportunity'.

I think someone earlier wondered whether any stats had been produced on 'non-standard cockpit crew complements' contributing to aircraft accidents / incidents?

===========================================

I would agree with Dani, that this was a short hard landing... in 'his' terms, though not with everything he has said.

The a/c was descending at 'nominal' descent rates and flying slow, certainly not fully stalled, but mushing along short of thrust to arrest the descent rate...
The muddy field possibly helped some sections to remain intact and minimise instantaneous vertical 'G' but contributed to very high longitudinal decelerations.

As far as survivability theory goes, we don't yet know for sure where the Boeing personnel where, or the distribution of serious injury cases throughout the cabin

Last edited by HarryMann; 27th Feb 2009 at 01:10.