PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 18:46
dogismycopilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Situation in Namibia

I'm writing this from a charming little guesthouse in Windhoek, Namibia. Been knocking on (hangar) doors and it's pretty rough here, too. Yesterday went to Desert Air (not hiring) and Wings over Africa. The very nice lady in charge (Diane) said she would've snatched me up had I spoken German! But then another source said to take that with a grain of salt--it's just what they say when they're not hiring, or not interested in you. (Uh--that hurt a little bit.) Anyway, those of you who are considering Namibia as well as Maun, take note:

The whole license conversion and C-210 type rating process is somewhat complicated here. It's apparently kind of expensive too, as much as US$4500 because of the 210 time involved. But I hear that if you're hired, the hiring company will front that money and it gradually comes out of your salary. Probably the best source of info on that is Westair Wings because they're a flight school as well as a scenic/safari flight company. (Tel: +264 (0)61 221091)

From what I've heard you all say about Maun, the impression I get is that Namibia is not quite so hopeless. And it's close if you're already in or are going to Bots. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.