PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 18:24
Dani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SAS MD-81 that crashlanded in 1991 had a landing run of 110 meters.
It did not stall - speed 121 kts when touching some trees and 107 kts (flaps full) at touch down. G-force at touch down 2.09. ROD last 10 sec.: 1536 ft./min.
Thanks grebllaw123d. Does that in your opinion support my theory or not? The wreckage of the THY in AMS is laid out as such that the tail is at least 100 meters (most probably more) away from the rest of the wreck.

I mean it's obvious that this aircraft landed relatively soft. If nearly all survived. RoyHod, have you ever had to land some 60 tons of metal on a soft field??? Most probably the injuries happened where the fuselage cracked or where structure failed internally.

The misconception leads from the definition of "low speed". It means the aircraft didn't drill itself into a hole. It means that this aircraft came in at landing configuration and speed. I seriously doubt that a investigation spokesman would give hints about such a critical circumstance like the speed at such an early stage on the proceedings. I guess LiS's citation is an interpretation of one or more journalists.

Dani